Good morning! I’ve been dawdling on this second Frozen dress (see the first one here), but this weekend, I finally completed it. I’m sad to report that it wasn’t a stunning success. I used the same pattern pieces as the first one, and this time, I cut into the fabrics specified by K — all cheap stuff from JoAnn’s. One of the things I did differently was to add rhinestones to the bodice like so:
That’s me, pulling away the plastic film after ironing on the sparkles, happy to see that I didn’t screw it up. It was actually super easy, and I got multiple packs of iron-on rhinestones, so I’m ready to bling up a multitude of future outfits.
K grudgingly put it on (grudgingly! a Frozen costume!) for the photos and immediately took it off afterwards. She likes the muslin version better and I do wish I’d made this second version entirely out of knit fabric. FYI, she decided to write poems while I snapped away with my camera. One was about sharks, and the other one had something to do with living in another world…
If nothing else, the fit is perfect. And the cape train is pretty impressive too.
Oh well. You win some, you lose some.
I’ve noticed that Frozen fever has been simmering down, which could also be why she wasn’t as excited about the dress. Her new thing is something called Ever After High, and I’m not sure how I feel about this. She’s been reading the books, and though I worried that it might be a bit advanced for her, I was reading the Sweet Valley High series in the 3rd grade, so I figure it should be okay.
I’m still struggling with the cape portion and realized that the zipper should start where the cape begins, so the tutorial will have to wait, but this seems a rather all-encompassing princess/dress-up dress so I hope to be able to put together something in the near future. Even if K doesn’t love it, this was good practice to flex my pattern drafting muscles, so I’m back to the drawing board!