Hello friends, I’ve missed you! I hope you had a fabulous week filled with a wonderful Easter weekend and other spring goodness. I’ll go more into my mini blog hiatus tomorrow, but for today, let’s dive into this glamorous number, shall we?
Not your average Easter dress, right? As a matter of fact, she was forbidden to gather eggs while wearing the dress due to its ridiculously long cape that was sure to result in injuries, but when K first came out of the house wearing it, the dress elicited a collective intake of awed gasps from her egg hunt buddies.
I drafted the entire outfit myself, and I’m mighty proud of the fit. This is actually a muslin for several reasons. First, I wasn’t sure how the dress would come together since there was a lot of guesstimating going on. Second, I discovered that the silver spandex-y jersey has a weird tendency of generating runs (like a snagged pantyhose). I told K they look like icicles, but they’re quite unprofessional-looking. Third, I was a bit confused about how to attach the cape, and though it turned out all right by simply zig zag stitching this stretchy poly knit onto the bodice, I’m wondering if there’s a better way.
You can see the runs in this close-up:
I added the sparkly sequined neckline I repurposed from a top that definitely belongs on Dancing with the Stars to detract from that snaggly part of the bodice, and I seem to have succeeded because K LOVES this dress. Guess which song she’s belting out here? She’s in full character, I tell you (she wants a blond braided wig, naturally, but I nixed that idea).
Seriously, way into it.
The dress is mostly made from stash fabrics. The glitter portion of the bodice has a suede-like backing, and I was surprised by how much it stretched and unraveled at the same time. I currently have glitter all over the house because of that bodice. The skirt is made from icy blue velvet, and I barely had enough to construct the skirt and had to actually modify my pattern pieces to make it work. For the cape, I toyed with the idea of painting snowflakes onto a pale blue sheer polyester fabric, but JoAnn’s had this sparkly turquoise knit that seemed passable (and far less work). It was a little tricky attaching it in a way that the invisible zipper in the back would still function and still look neat, but again, I got lucky.
It’s actually a very simple dress to make. I based it loosely on a knit dress I made eons ago for the upper body/sleeve sections, and then just eyeballed everything else. What helped was that K was more than willing to do multiple fittings for me for adjustments and tweaks, and it all came together just in time for Easter. I’d like to say this was part of my KCW sewing, but nope. KCW was a bust for me, sadly.
It’s funny, when I first showed K the fabrics I planned on using, she said it didn’t look enough like Elsa’s dress, so I agreed to just make a muslin from those fabrics, and we actually went to JoAnn’s for her to handpick the perfect Frozen dress materials.
I’ve already started working on Frozen dress #2 with K’s selections, but it’s not going as well as I’d hoped (cheap, faux-silk polyester slips like crazy) and after a quick glance at my work-in-progress, K has decided she likes the muslin better, which she’s been wearing at every opportunity. Hmmmm…..if I get #2 working, I’ll try to do a tutorial here.
Also! I thoroughly enjoyed reading all 99 comments about things that you would never find boring. The winners are Marta and Amber, and you both should have received emails from me already. Hooray!