One of M’s closest friends just had a baby boy, and all around us baby news abound. I have one baby-specific Japanese pattern book, shown above, and I wanted to give it a whirl for the many pint-sized gifts I’ve been making. The book includes several outfits, bibs, bags including a diaper bag, a nursing cover and other sweet creations.
From this photo, this onesie/romper seems super appropriate for a little freshly born guy, right? I made the smallest size (probably comparable to 3 to 6 months) but mine came out HUGE. The kid will be three before he can wear it. I’m not sure how the fabric got stretched out so much, and the proportions also look off. I’m debating whether I should still give it to little O…But the fabric is adorable! The selvage says “Baby Lulu” and it’s been sitting in my stash for who knows how long.
For obvious reasons, I don’t have a lot of fabric geared towards boys. This is such a fun print, though, and who says girls can’t wear rompers with cars? Perhaps this will have to go to a girl who is more likely to fit this…I believe I was planning on making a baby blanket out of this fabric, which means I had a good amount. So when one of my lovely readers won a fabric giveaway of mine, I included some of this stuff because she has a son and the fabric she won was more on the girly side of things. Look at her great onesie:
For another friend, I thought this Nani Iro double gauze number would be perfect. Except, I couldn’t find the kind of snaps on a ribbon as specified for the pattern, so I used metal snaps that I had on hand and it’s so bumpy I’m afraid the baby will have permanent indentations in her back. I’m going to have to come up with a different, less invasive closure.
I used this fabric for an enchanting peter pan collar top that K has only recently decided that she loves now that she’s about to outgrow it. I think my super power is that I’m nearly always successful at gauging how much fabric to use for a pattern without looking at the final measurements. I was able to squeeze this outfit out of the skimpy remnants I had available, though I had to rearrange the pattern pieces many, many times. A truly useless super power unless you sew.
It’s tricky to figure out which side is the front for the bloomers, so I marked the back with a little heart using fabric paint…coincidentally, the color matches this inky, purplish blue perfectly. Hmmm, I seem to be going through a major bluish-purple phase right now. There are a few more baby items in progress and I’ll post those soon. Oh, they’re so itty bitty and cute!