Good morning! Normally I make a birthday dress for K, but sometimes the sewing stars refuse to align. I purchased the Brooklyn Pattern Co. Bedford Dress well before her party (I knew there was zero chance I’d get it done in time for her actual birthday), and even managed to get K to select a fabric from my stash. Given the way things have been working out for me these days, I would say that a week behind schedule isn’t too bad.
I believe the fabric is from Drygoods — my memory, being what it is, is unreliable. I want to say it’s cotton, possibly a cotton/rayon blend, and it has a distinctly crinkly texture.
Can we talk exposed zippers? I love them. However, I’ve always had trouble with them looking anything but amateur. Luckily, Erin’s instructions are so clear and detailed, this teal zip installation is looking mighty professional.
I’m digging the overall effect, but I didn’t account for the fact that the crinkles would make it difficult to accurately measure and cut the fabric. The racerback straps in the back are extremely thin, and my facing wasn’t lining up even remotely. As per instructions, I was generous with pin usage, but because of my uneven strap widths, I found it tricky to sew them together.
It’s been a long, long, long time since I’ve savored a sewing project — this dress looks simple, but there are a surprising number of details like the cute curved hem and new-to-me techniques, which was just what I needed. I didn’t rush the process, followed every instruction (a rarity for me) and by the end of it, I felt that awesome yet paradoxical combination of calm and invigorated. Good sewing does that for me. The dress could have turned out a complete mess and I wouldn’t have minded. I reveled in not having multiple huge deadlines hanging over my head, and I was sewing for the pure fun of it. It was indulgent in the best possible way.
Plus, I don’t think it’s a complete mess and K approves of my version of the Bedford Dress, so as K likes to say lately, “win-win!!”