If you had told me last year that I’d be able to get the print of plaid fabric to match up for a button-down shirt, I would have laughed you out of the room. As it turns out, if I cut each pattern piece individually, I can get very, very decent results (i.e. cutting every piece from a single layer instead of folding the fabric to get two sleeve pieces at once, say). Not perfect, mind you, but pretty darn good.
This is Simplicity 1538. And the cotton fabric is from Drygoods — I hear this beauty of a plaid sold out in record time. If you follow Kelly, who is so incredibly prolific and also one of the nicest people I’ve met, you may have seen this same fabric on her instagram feed. I contemplated being twinsies with Kelly and sewing this up into an Archer too, but in the end, the much less labor intensive Simplicity pattern won out. I love love love this shirt. I especially love that I cut the back yoke on the bias:
The pattern promises to be easy-to-sew, and overall it delivered on its promise. I liked view D and opted for one pocket rather than two, just because. The only part I just couldn’t get right was the sleeve cuff opening bindings (now that’s an inelegant way of describing it — what is that called?). The instructions weren’t difficult or anything, but the binding piece refused to lay flat so it’s a little scrunched. But like my other button-down shirt from last week, I don’t ever anticipate wearing the shirt without rolled-up sleeves, so I didn’t lose any sleep over it.
Here’s a little modeling for ya — but let’s be honest, it looks like I’m remembering the whiplash I got from a car accident years ago and am thinking, “Man, that crick in my neck is acting up again…” Here’s another attempt at varying my usual unimaginative poses:
Ready to start square dancing: do-si-do, anyone? The Ford modeling agency won’t be knocking on my door any time soon.
Anyway, back to some more info about the shirt. I added the same metal buttons I used for K’s rain jacket, and I still have a couple dozen left so you’ll probably see these buttons again. I cut the size 12, and this one is a slimmer fit than last week’s grey polka dot shirt. Definitely preferring this fit a lot more. And this was major for me: the bust darts were in the perfect spot without any modifications. So nice to have bust darts that don’t aggressively point northward…you know, the kinds that highlight the the inevitable pull of gravity on my non-spring-chicken body.
I’m making slow but sure progress on my fall sewing plans. Two down, two to go! I got a few skeins of merino wool/cashmere blend (in grey, of course) ready to be cast onto knitting needles, but I have a feeling the jeans are going to take a loooong time to materialize…onward and upward!